Sunday, November 16, 2014

My humble beginning.....A carving perspective

First Ever Carve

My First EVER carve


      I've noticed over and over on the AQ boards that people worry about their level of talent. First off I like to point out that Art is Subjective. What one person considers talent another person may hate and what one person thinks is juvenile another may see as a masterpiece. Many of the most famous artists were not admired or coveted until long after they left this earth. Some people like perfect art where as others prefer contemporary. I myself love all levels of art. My favorite painters are Rothko, Degas and Lichtenstein. They really do not have s ingle thing in common other than you can see their work in museums. I love the colors that Degas was drawn to, the blues and greens captivate me. I love the comic book fun that Lichtenstein brought to life in his work. I even carved three of his pieces and made cards from them. Last but never least in my book is Rothko...He painted colored rectangles. When I first saw his work I was almost appalled that he had ever become famous, but after spending more and more time looking at his stuff it took on an ethereal feel to me. I absolutely love his work. My 8 year old son can probably come close to imitating it...point being...Art is subjective. There is room for all levels and types of talent. 

    Anyways, I recently ran across my first ever carve. I decided to share it with the masses in hopes that it will inspire anyone who thinks they can't carve to NEVER quit. I started off with Pink Stuff, a pencil and a #5 nib. The picture above was the result. It took me years to become the carver that I am now. Everyone starts somewhere and if I had never managed to carve better than that heart I would hope that even that stamp would have given someone out there joy. Its the effort and heart you put into your work that matters...and mine is full of it. I truly hope I bring people joy. and if even one person looks at my work and feels the way I do about Rothko then I have accomplished more than I could ever hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment