Tuesday, August 19, 2014

All The World Is A Stage (LTC's 76-78)

Petrushka: The Clown's Reverie (LTC # 76)

In Russia, an old man recounts his memories of earlier days when he was assistant to a travelling puppet showman. The three stars of the show - three marionettes called Petrushka, the Ballerina and the Moor - lead their own lives beyond their performances on stage.

Petrushka is in love with the Ballerina, but she only has eyes for the Moor. One night, love and jealous rage erupt from the puppet box and in front of a horrified audience, the Moor murders Petrushka.

This tale is based on the famous ballet "Petrushka" by Igor Stravinksy.

This is one of a set of cards I made based upon the folktale and ballet. 



Petrushka: Waltz of the Moor & The Ballerina (LTC #77)

This was the second in a set that I carved just as a challenge to myself I loved the end result. I wish all carves and cards ended up the way that I first envision. So far of all of the cards that I have made, these two are my favorite.


Mas Que La Cera (LTC #78)

"Más Que La Cara" is Spanish for "More than the face".

I have always been intrigued by the idea of Masquerade Balls. I love the idea of getting to know people without seeing their face, there are so many more facets to a person than their appearance. Throughout our life we wear so many masks dependant on who we are with, where we are and the circumstances at the moment. As Shakespeare said in "As You Like IT"....All the world is a stage...

No comments:

Post a Comment