Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Morphine & Cocaine, The mind Of Jules Verne and The Plague (LTC's 85-87)

Old Time Labels Swap

Back of Card

Papine Alcohol & Morphine Syrup (LTC# 85)

I absolutely loved this swap. There were so many interesting labels out there to choose from. After I carved and picked my image I found the cocaine toothache drops. I had to carve it for the back just because! It makes you wonder about the medicines we use nowadays. It hasn't been that long since the days we treated people with cocaine and opiates. Who knows...maybe Jules Verne was being treated with some of these medicines when he came up with some of his ideas. Hopefully the Plague doctor kept some of this on hand.

Jules Verne Swap

Verne Sous La Mer (LTC # 85)

I've just started to practice carving portraits. This was my first attempt. i liked the image and thought it was the epitome of Verne. I wasn't thrilled with the outcome but I have found that portraits are my weak spot and the only way that I'm going to get better is by pushing myself and learning different techniques.

Things That Go Bump In The Night Swap

Back of card

Plague Doctor (LTC # 87)

I do enjoy carving the macabre. The plague doctor masks have always been especially frightening to me. Who knew that they weren't intended to be frightening...

In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, some doctors wore a beak-like mask which was filled with aromatic items. The masks were designed to protect them from putrid air, which (according to the miasmatic theory of disease) was seen as the cause of infection. Thus:

The nose half a foot long, shaped like a beak, filled with perfume with only two holes, one on each side near the nostrils, but that can suffice to breathe and to carry along with the air one breathes the impression of the drugs enclosed further along in the beak. Under the coat we wear boots made in Moroccan leather (goat leather) from the front of the breeches in smooth skin that are attached to said boots and a short-sleeved blouse in smooth skin, the bottom of which is tucked into the breeches. The hat and gloves are also made of the same skin… with spectacles over the eyes



No comments:

Post a Comment