Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Havisham, Venus, Flower Girls and a card never made (LTC's 70-73)


 Havisham Waiting ( LTC #70)

When I was young my mother made me read all of Charles Dickens books. I have to admit that at the time I felt it was a special kind of torture...but as an adult I am so appreciative. There is something so beautiful and elegant about classic novels. 
I always wanted to carve Miss Havisham but was never able to find an image that I thought would work. After finishing this card I couldn't get "Great Expectations" out of my mind. I looked at the finished product and knew that this was Mrs. Havisham waiting for her beloved on the steps of Satis house on her wedding day. And the card was born... 


Carved in 2009


Born Of The Sea (LTC #71)

Aphrodite (or Venus to the Romans) is thought to have been born near Paphos, on the island of Cyprus. According to Greek myth, Uranus and Gaia had a son named Cronus. The parents fought and Gaia created a stone sickle, which she gave to Cronus to attack his father. Cronus castrated Uranus and threw his father's testicles into the sea. They caused the sea to foam and out of that white foam rose Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty.

I hard this carve laying around for years but was never able to make a card out of it that I like until all of the pressure was off. LTC's 69-78 were made during my hiatus. They sat in a box for a year before I ever even got back on and listed them. I made them purely because I missed the art of it all.



Danni Bella (LTC #72)

I carved a series of little girls based on the art of Elisabeth Bell. This particular image reminded me of a song my mother used to sing to me when I was little. "Where has all the flowers gone". At this time I was spending a large portion of my days taking care of my mom and learning about early onset Alzheimer's. making this card took me back to a simpler time. I had fun playing with colors and layers while designing it. It's nice to be nostalgic every now and again when you have been thrown into chaos.

Carved to be planted for Box Of The Month

Awakening Flora (LTC #73)

I originally carved this to be part of the Box of The Month. I had always been a part of it when I lived in Wyoming. 12 of us joined and I would plant each persons carve once a month in Colorado. I was going to continue it after my move to Alaska. However things don't always go as planned. I was busy and overwhelmed and didn't end up continuing as part of that group. I was very proud of the carve so when I started making LTC's again it was a given that the spring awakening of Flora would come to life on layers of paper.
Ex Libris Swap

Baby Mine (LTC Never Finished)

I never got to make cards of this image. I made one and then things came up and I had to drop from the swap. But I loved the image and wanted to share it...








No comments:

Post a Comment